Saturday, February 19, 2011

The 4th Week (I need to come up with better titles)

    This week in Life Drawing we learned about the pelvis and how it fits in relation to the body. We are now drawing the spinal column, an egg for the rib cage, and the pelvis. I think it is great that these 3 parts are all we have to worry about right now. However, it doesn't mean it is easy. In fact, trying to get the proportion and the shapes right are kind of challenging for me right now. I'm not sure if the facial hair I am currently growing on my face has something to do with it, but this week has been an off one for me.

    I have had a hard time focusing lately for some reason. I think it is because my mind is on all of my other classes, but lets get back on track. After drawing what I believed to be an acceptable pelvis, I soon realized to some disappointment that it was indeed incorrect. I was drawing it a little too small and either too low or too high. We were given pointers on how to get the proportion right, which was extremely helpful. Drawing within two cubes is a really easy way to get it right. However, it is not as easy when the pose is anything other than straight on. I find it difficult to get the placement right when the body is twisted in different positions, and when there is foreshortening. Our last drawing on Friday was a 45 minute one. The angle I was at was one with a lot of foreshortening in the chest and stomach. I initially had some trouble in the beginning, but then I was quite happy with how it was turning out. I thought it was looking great, until the last 5 minutes when I realized that it was a little long and there was not that much foreshortening in my drawing. Looking at the model and back at my drawing I found that the arm would have to be 2 feet wide to get the same placement. I was bummed out.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that proportion and foreshortening are the hardest things to do but if you keep with it I believe that even though it feels difficult you will soon learn to work with it without having to even think about it. Just think back to drawing one, I'm positive that there is something that you struggled with, and with more practice you got better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had exactly the same problem with the 45 minute drawing so I don't think it's the facial hair. At least I hope not, that would be worrying.

    I like the way you left the ribs looking fully dimensional within the finished drawings, I might have to try that. It must help cement the shapes of the bones in your mind.

    ReplyDelete