Friday, February 4, 2011

1st-2nd Week of Life Drawing

     In this first week we jumped right into gesture drawing. It took a while to get adjusted to drawing the figure. I feel like it will still take some time to get into the mindset as I have not had a drawing course in 2 years. So when we were told we had to get the gesture down in 30 seconds it took me by surprise. I found out that I was slow. In the first few 30 second durations I only got half the figure in. I knew that I was going to have to learn how to change my habits and try some new techniques.
Clay Model

     Slowly it is getting easier and I can see a small progression already. We did our first long drawing for 30 minutes. Our instructions were to draw slowly. If we only had 3 lines by the end, but they were "good" lines, that was all we were shooting for. So about 15 minutes into the drawing I had the whole part of the figure done. So I had to start over and SLOW down. Now I was going too fast! I was still in the mindset of drawing quick from the 30 second gestures, that drawing slowly for 30 minutes was a quick change.
     I am actually really glad we are standing at easels as we draw. It helps with drawing technique and staying alert. It also gives us a better perspective angle to the model. Speaking of models, we also got our clay skeleton models this week. We had to dissect the clay from the other class off of the model and clean them up. All clean for a semester's worth of learning and adding it all back again. I believe this model is going to take some time, but will be worth it in the end. I know by the end of the semester I will know a great deal more about the human body than when I came in to this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment