Sunday, March 27, 2011

We are Back!

    Back from Spring Break, and mother nature wasn't done messing with us yet. On Monday we were assigned some more clay muscles to put on our mannequins. These muscles are part of the shoulder girdle. I feel like we are really expanding our mannequins into an actual human and I can see it. It is amazing how complicated it is and yet how simply it works. Anyways, Monday we started to draw the shoulder blades on our drawings. It is great to have a model that it is easy to see pretty much everything we need to on. The way the light hits these markers really creates a prominent line. I was both frustrated and content with my drawings. It kind of seemed like I was just putting a curved line in for where the shoulders connect to the arms in the quick gesture drawings. Amy did come by and say it was the right idea, so it must be so. When she demonstrated on the back of the model where the shoulders were and had her move them, it really reminded me how amazing the human body really is.
My Friday Frustration
    A main issue I have and am trying to get better at is the size of my drawings. I tend to draw pretty small. Even in our longer drawings I intend to draw the size of the page, and I start to lay it out, and before I know it, it is all in the center of the page again with a lot of negative space on the top and bottom. I have gotten better since the beginning of the semester, but I need to push it. Wednesday was a weird day because of the snow and many people not in class. We had drawing time which was nice. Friday in our long drawing towards the end of class I was frustrated. I took my sweet time, and barely got the figure done in the hour. I spent A LOT of time trying to get the rib cage right. My view was where his leg was in front of his torso, so I had to try to x-ray through his knee to figure it out. As for the clay muscles, I worked on them after class. I intended to get them all done, but once I had 3 left I quit for the day. Why? So that I have more to do when I don't have time to do them, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean with the contented and frustrated thing, I was the same way. Your drawing turned out well though :)

    It's exciting to have almost a full figure. You can draw and actually know what's going on ( for a change)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same as you, while drawing it is a love hate relationship, and some days no matter what you do your not going to be able to get it right, or spend the whole class period trying. I thought your last comment was funny because i do that all the time, procrastinating when later i know i wont have time.

    ReplyDelete