Saturday, March 12, 2011

A New Week

    Well, it is Spring Break, and yet another blog post is in order. It may be the excitement of break or the long drive home, but I am exhausted. This week I think was an interesting one learning about the human foot. Starting the week working on clay models was a little disappointing because I wanted to draw, but it provided time to catch up. It was great to actually get to complete all of the clay that wasn't due until Friday so early. We learned about a lot of different muscles in the foot such as the Extensor Hallucis Longus and the Tibialis Anterior. It is very interesting discovering how these muscles fit within the foot and why you can see certain ones more easily.
    Drawing the foot was going well but I realized that I was outlining quite a bit. I tried to incorporate more contour lines in my drawings this week. I think this was more apparent in my final long drawing on Friday. I was at first drawing toes in and they did look kind of like sausage like we mentioned on Friday. I believe I fixed this with the new content we learned on Friday. Learning about the parts of the toes such as the metatarsals and the phlanges. Knowing what makes up the toes makes it easier to draw them because you know they should bend in certain places.
    On Friday we had some 5 minute drawings and an hour long drawing. This was great to really work out proportion and get contours in to shape the foot. It is so amazing how even one contour line can make something look 3-dimensional. I always knew this, i just came to re appreciate just how simple drawing can sometimes be. If one line can achieve this dimensionality. It makes me think if I am trying too hard sometimes. 

2 comments:

  1. That's great that the contour drawings are working for you. The bottom drawing looks really solid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think that I add to much to my drawings that they are too busy, thats why I am trying to get down to the basics, and using contours in a lot of my drawings. I'm glad that you are understanding how the foot works, both your drawings looked like you have it down, good job!

    ReplyDelete