Saturday, May 14, 2011

End of the Year

 My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanhuettl/

This will be my last blog post for Life Drawing 1. I can't believe how fast this year has gone, but I accomplished a lot in it. Coming into this class I knew I would be learning more about the human body and I was very excited to understand how to draw them more accurately. I really had a hard time in the beginning adjusting to the class. Like I said in my earlier posts, I have always had the habit of taking my time with my drawings and going for detail and shading. This class called for a very different style and it required me to try to change my ways.
I really feel like I have progressed a lot in this class and am very proud of that fact. Struggling in the beginning was very frustrating for me and I could not keep up with the short 30 second gesture drawings. Drawing the live models was very different at first, but it is amazing how normal it becomes as you do it more and more. Contour lines were a little difficult for me at first, but it really is amazing how much it makes a drawing look dimensional. In the beginning we were only drawing the spine and rib cage. I think this was a reason I had a hard time in the start of the semester because I felt like the drawing was really unfinished and didn't make much sense. After adding more to the drawing and eventually the head it was much better in my mind. I think the mannequins were necessary for learning the muscles, but it was difficult as well for me. The books we had to look at were hard to figure out sometimes and the muscles were a little confusing at times. Other than that though, the class was a lot of fun.     
I think my favorite part we had drawn was the head and skull. It is the part I feel that gives the most life to the figure. This led to our self-portraits, that I think I did alright on, I just wish my eyes were at the same angle as my nose and mouth. All in all though, this semester has been successful. I have learned a lot and will help in my drawing and sketching methods. Thank you Amy for being such a great professor this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment